Senior Contract Manager
Located in Baytown Texas, immediate opening to lead project consortium project contracts organization to maintain the prime contract terms as well as working with consortium construction partner.
Work with project’s key vendors and subcontractors in making sure they are fulfilling their contractual obligations.
Develop, negotiate, implement and maintain competitively advantageous sourcing strategies, engineering and construction contract services arrangement to enable world class execution for an ongoing multi-billion dollar expansion project.
The successful candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree preferably in the Engineering or Construction area, with experience in managing construction, engineering and EPC contracts. The incumbent must possess outstanding leadership and influencing skills, along with strong business acumen, and excellent organization and time management skills.
The Contracts Manager is primarily responsible for all project strategic sourcing activities for the company’s scope of the project. As such, this position is responsible for developing, negotiating, implementing and maintaining competitively advantageous supply strategies and contract arrangements to enable world-class project execution. Also working with key project vendors and subcontractors ensuring they are fulfilling their contractual obligations.
The successful candidate will be expected to understand and challenge technical specifications, commercial practices, operating practices and business processes. He/she will understand and promote current best-in-class sourcing strategies and methodologies across the industry. Strong sourcing, organizational, written, and negotiating skills are required.
The candidate must possess both excellent analytical and leadership skills. He/she will need to have the knowledge, experience, and ability to employ the appropriate influence strategies with engineering teams, sourcing teams, and business stakeholders to meet established goals and objectives. Ability to effectively communicate technical and non-technical information, across cultures and organizations is a key success factor.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Develop strategies and lead the commercial contracting negotiations for construction subcontract categories aligning to project requirements.
- Identify and qualify key vendors and subcontractors meeting company requirements.
- Bring innovative solutions to maximize value proposition for products and bid opportunities.
- Effectively utilize company sourcing tools to launch inquiries and receive contractor quotations/proposals.
- Develop efficient bid tabulations and lead sourcing reviews with cross functional teams.
- Develop and negotiate framework engineering agreements to support company competitive offering.
- Monitor, communicate, and respond to changing market conditions and business drivers to maximize leverage and minimize risk.
- Lead cross-functional teams involved in supplier discovery.
- Identify, develop and manage contractors; understand safety, commercial and capacity risks.
- Manage relationships with suppliers and maintain interface at senior level within their organizations.
- Act as an escalation point for contractor interface for project execution issues when relevant
- Effectively participate in Continuous Improvement activities.
- Establish and manage a communication system of weekly contractual updates to the PM and Leadership levels. This shall include weekly status reports that are delivered to the Houston office stakeholders.
- Ensure that all contract records and documents are accurate and up to date.
- Under the guidance of Leadership and Legal, draft and assist in the preparation of correspondence regarding notices to subcontractors in accordance with contractual requirements to include letters, notices and emails.
- Perform project closeout to ensure all contractual requirements are met including administration of certificates, warranties, and contractor lien wavers.
- Attend meetings to assess progress on contract calls and take detailed notes to share with stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be intuitive, a self-starter, process oriented and driven to achieve excellence and deadlines.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills.
- Possesses superior attention to detail in order to spot inconsistencies in contracts.
- Exhibits strong customer service skills.
- Able to work productively independently and as part of a team.
- Must have excellent analytical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.
- Exhibits strong organizational and time management abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 15 years of relevant experience with major contractors in roles dealing with management of project change procedures, cost management, claims and variations, negotiation and settlement of disputes with owners and subcontractors.
- Thorough understanding and prior experience in subcontracts and contractual language.
- Excellent oral and written English proficiency is a must.
- Experience with Gulf Coast reimbursable EPC projects.