Lead Piping Designer
Accomplishes results through teaming with lower-level experienced exempt employees. Develops solutions to problems of unusual complexity that require a high degree of innovation and ingenuity. May lead a section or group of designers/drafters, usually on a single project in a specialized field.
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Perform initial project planning regarding project scope, design basis, effort hour budget, staffing requirements, deliverables and execution procedure.
- Knowledgeable of company, department and project procedures and ensure all are followed throughout a project.
- Develop and/or participate in Plot Plan and Equipment Arrangement activities.
- Establish design areas and assign piping team personnel to design responsibilities.
- Establish and trend estimate quantities.
- Participate in all design reviews.
- Monitor the progress for all piping design activities regarding budget, schedule, and staffing and report results to Project Management and Department Management. Monitor and supervise work in satellite offices.
- Ensure the deliverable verification process, and that all deliverables are issued according to schedule.
- Participate in weekly project discipline team meetings and conduct weekly piping design team meetings.
- Ensure all piping design team members are working according to client safety guidelines, and that all have successfully completed project specific safety training.
- Normally requiring a minimum of 10+ years’ experience and a High School or Associate Graduate, or a BS degree reducing this requirement to 8 years’ experience.
- SPED training/certification a plus.
- Candidates should have enough knowledge of 2d and 3d CAE/CAE systems to manage & organize work activities and perform necessary layout and design.
- Primary experience in S3D is preferred.
- Experience in other applications such as PDMS, Cadworx and Optiplant are a plus.
- Good communication skills is required
- Experience in developing estimates and schedules, leading a piping design team executing multiple small projects, interfacing with other disciplines and other offices, evaluating progress and early identification of potential problems
- Field experience and experience in developing turnaround packages and providing turnaround support
- Previous work experience in a refinery or chemical plant
- Previous safety awareness training