Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
The EHS Specialist will serve as the primary HSE resource for the Contractor’s project management team to develop and administer a proactive accident prevention program for the NAVFAC Petroleum, Oil & Lubricants Projects.
The EHS Specialist provides technical assistance to field operations to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and client-specific requirements, including EM 385-1-1. Works closely with the Regional Contractor’s HSE Manager, Project Manager and Construction Managers in addressing and resolving HSE technical challenges and issues, while supporting the mission. This position requires an effective communicator who follows Contractor’s corporate guidance and sets clear, concise health, safety and environmental performance goals with, managers, employees, subcontractors and client representatives. Keeps abreast of any changes to HSE laws and regulations that impact the organization.
The EHS Specialist will conduct compliance evaluations of equipment, structures, and work in progress to ensure that regulatory environmental, safety, and health standards of the company and all applicable codes are followed. Recommends facilities and technological specifications to carry out programs that fulfill the organization’s overall objectives. The EHS Specialist prepares and reviews technical reports, correspondence, and procedures manuals. Establishes and maintains licenses and permits as required. Internal contacts may include site management, risk management personnel, include business line leads, Health and Safety personnel and office managers. External contacts include clients at work locations and regulatory agencies.
The EHS Specialist will exhibit knowledge and apply the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of their environmental specialty. Under minimal supervision, assists in the application and enforcement of company and project standards and regulations. The EHS Specialist will rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Some work is routine, and instructions are detailed.
- Ensure implementation of the Contractor’s Project Accident Prevention Plan and applicable client procedures.
- Conduct Site Safety Orientations and Site Required Training to all Contractor project personnel with emphasis on confined space entry requirements and fall protection.
- Participate in and facilitate the project Target Observation program; monitor and analyze safety observation trends and implement corrective actions designed to improve results.
- Ensure day-to-day safety work processes are followed (e.g., client Permits, required personal gas monitoring, buddy system, wearing correct PPE in the fuel storage tanks.
- Monitors the pre-job brief process periodically to ensure quality of safety coverage in the briefs.
- Assisting Supervisors in developing and reviewing Activity Hazard Analyses and Review and Submit the AHAs to the client for acceptance.
- Assist Contractors Supervisors on daily walk-downs and weekly safety supervisor inspections.
- Reviewing and communication of daily lessons learned in morning meetings and at other appropriate times in the field.
- Facilitates proper incident investigations and injury management according to current Safety Plan and Site Safety and Contractor Expectations; communicate verbally and written initial incident notification to Site Safety and Contractor Management.
- Provide injury management leadership; case management, visits to clinic as needed. Following up with employee injury progress.
- Enter all accident, incident data in the Contractor Incident Management System.
- S or B.A. in Life Sciences or Safety-related discipline.
- 10 years of continuous safety experience with at least 5 years working in construction or fuel storage facilities. (gas, oil, hazard waste, POL refinery)
- CSP or CIH required.
- Competent Person (CP) for Confined Space Entry and Fall Protection Systems.
- 30-Hour OSHA Construction Safety Training Class
- 40-hour EM-385-1-1 Contractor Awareness Training (must obtain within 45 days of hire)
- First Aid/CPR/AED training
- Must pass Government background investigation for access to Secure POL Sites.
- Good written and verbal communication skills are required, as well as moderate to advanced computer and presentation skills (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Competitive compensation with immediate start date through the end of year with option to renew into 2021 if additional scope released. Mobilization and per diem.
- Tamuning, Guam